If you have a granite worktop in your home which you obtained from Granite Worktops London or elsewhere, well, congratulations! You’re among those people who made a very clever decision.
Granite is one of the most durable and highly valuable materials in worktops that feature perfect exquisiteness and top functionality. With its high resistance to extreme hot and cold conditions and natural timeless beauty, this rock, which is molded from molten magma, has gained popularity to many homeowners in our modern world today.
But despite its spectacular characteristics, it’s essential to take care of the granite worktops properly to make sure it remains strikingly beautiful and hygienic as well. If you’re not sure how to do it, then feel free to read and learn from this article.
Daily Regular Maintenance Cleaning
The items that you need are mostly found in your home:
- Warm water
- Mild Liquid Dish Soap
- Microfiber cloth
- 70% Rubbing alcohol
- Prepare your Granite Worktop
- Clear your worktop accordingly.
- Remove appliances and other items so you can fully clean all areas of your worktop.
- Try to remove or wipe excess debris, any spills, and stains with wet cloth prior to your actual cleaning process.
- Prepare your Cleaning Solution –Although recommended commercial cleaning products might be sometimes offered by Granite Worktops London and other reputable suppliers elsewhere, you can always make your own homemade granite worktop cleaning solution with ease:
- Boil water and transfer it into a bucket when it’s warm en
- Mix well three parts of mild liquid dish soap (antimicrobial) and one part of rubbing alcohol into the bucket of water. Both are good antiseptics which would mean that they can effectively kill microbes.Important Note: Never use ammonia, vinegar, and, lemon as part of your cleaning solution because these are too acidic and it can destroy the sealant of your granite worktop. The same reason applies if you put in too much alcohol also.
- Wash and Clean Using the Homemade Cleaning Solution
- Immerse the microfiber cloth into the solution and allow it to get fully soaked.
- Squeeze and twist the cloth to remove the excess liquid from it.
- Wipe all areas of your granite worktop thoroughly. Don’t leave a single space.
- Dry and Polish
- Use a dry microfiber cloth to dry out your granite worktop. Wring the cloth or change it as needed.
- Polish with another dry microfiber cloth.
- Enjoy your Beautiful, Clean, and Sanitized Granite Worktop.
Sealing Granite Worktops
The moment you ordered and installed your fabulous worktop from Granite Worktops London or in other locations, the company must have informed you that this has to be effectively sealed. But if not, let this post inform you that granite are porous materials. A sealant has to be applied so that dirt and other liquids won’t penetrate into those crevices causing stubborn stains which are extremely difficult to clean. To properly seal your granite worktop, please follow the steps below:
- Clean your worktop. Follow the procedure previously mentioned but make sure to let it dry thoroughly. Hence, you may have to leave it to dry and remove excessive moisture for at least 10 – 15 minutes.
- Spray the recommended sealant all over your granite worktop.
- Let it dry again for 10 -15 minutes to allow the solution to penetrate into the granite material and effectively seal it.
Don’t leave your beautiful granite worktop unattended. Clean it, seal it, maintain it, and make it sparkle forever!